Friday, October 1, 2010

How 24 hours can change things

I was laid off from my job on Wednesday at 6 months pregnant. One of the things I enjoyed most about my job was working for people I truly considered friends - ones I spent time with socially as well as professionally. It's hard not to take it personally when you are betrayed like that. All and all, it will work out for the best. I had out-grown my work there, and Preston was the only thing keeping me there through the rest of the year. I'm able to collect a good amount through unemployment and was given a decent severance. And that is the end of that chapter in my life.

After I was laid off, totally unexpectedly, I had to go take a midterm exam in a class I can't stand with a brand new professor who has no idea what he was doing. I was totally shot. I did really poorly on the exam and will be spending the rest of the semester making up for it.

Then, on my way home at 9:30, some woman hit my car. Luckily everyone was okay, but my car isn't driveable right now. The whole front right corner of my car is caved in from my headlamp to my tire. I got myself into a rental through my insurance company, and am adjusting to my new wheels.

It's been a very long two days, especially as I adjust from working full time and going to school full time to staying at home full time without the opportunity to look for a job. I'm planning to be back in the workforce next spring, after Preston comes and I can spend time with him his first few months. Emotionally, I'm shot from all the sudden changes. But everyone and everything is okay, and each day will get a little easier.

It's also helped me realize how important both of the men in my life are. My husband honestly is my rock. He's been there for me emotionally every step of the way. Feeling little Preston kick and punch his way around my stomach at just the right moment when I am trying to catch my breath or wipe away a tear just melts my heart. Through all of these random events, I really feel like a part of a true family unit, and that our family is getting stronger every day.

Once I get over the changes to my life and my routine, I am looking forward to enjoying every last minute remaining of this pregnancy. My husband signed up me up for prenatal yoga at a studio down the road twice a week for my mind and my body. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm trying to get out to take walks and spend time talking to and playing with the baby. Once all the emotion is gone, I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life, where Preston continues to grow and change, and makes his grand entrance into the world surrounded by a mom and dad who have honestly counted down every moment until his arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment