Friday, July 1, 2011

Solids

We started P on rice cereal a week shy of 5 months. At 5 months, we dove into purees. I started with squash and then moved onto green beans, peas, and sweet potato. Then it was pears, apples and bananas.

P eats his fruit in the morning and his veggies at night. Every few days, his fruit is mixed with whole wheat cereal. I plan on making some brown rice cereal in a few weeks to change it up. He eats anywhere from 1-3 oz a serving, and outside of a few days worth of making faces at green beans, he hasn't rejected anything. Outside of his green beans (which I CANNOT get to a good texture for the life of me), I make all of his food. I do have organic baby food in the house and in my diaper bag for the convenience, but I enjoy making his food.

I'm not adding any other foods (outside of the roasted carrots we are trying tonight) until we go for his 6 month appointment on July 6th. I'm curious to see what we can add to his diet according to his doctor. I haven't yet tried prunes, plums, peaches, nectarines, mangos, or anything like that. Avocados look gross at the store right now so I've held off. I'm also running out of new vegetable options. I can't wait to try new things like parsnips, beets, fennel, and the like.

I love this new stage in his development. Watching him try new foods and explore the taste and texture is really enjoyable. I look forward to his meals every day and love making his food each week.

2 comments:

  1. I too cannot get the right texture with green beans BUT Truitt prefers those whole anyway (he's 6 months)

    www.wholesomebabyfood.com has a great chart that shows which foods are good to introduce. Although he hasn't eaten them all yet I've made carrots, green beans, apples and pears (and he's eaten fresh banana and avocado).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the video of Truitt with his applesauce!

    ReplyDelete